What the industry needs
To avoid costly pipeline failures, inspections are performed to assess the pipeline degradation and remaining service life.
Pipeline operators and NDT service companies must deal with increasing pressure from regulatory authorities and environmentalists to guarantee the pipeline network’s integrity, while keeping maintenance costs at their lowest. Considering these factors, they need to look for portability, measurement speed, data storage, and repeatability in their choice of an inspection tool.
Pipecheck software module for pipeline corrosion assessment
Creaform’s solution is comprised of a Handyscan 3D laser scanner and the Pipecheck data acquisition/analysis software. Pipecheck is an innovative, intuitive and highly-effective approach to pipeline corrosion inspection, and it represents the best alternative on the market to traditional NDT methods for this application.
Advantages of the solution
- A dynamic link between the pipe and scanner preserves accuracy and resolution in any field vibrating environment.
- Data quality can be assessed in real time during acquisition.
- Repeatability is ensured by scanner design, pre-programmed calculation and auto-generated reports.
- Follows code regulation (ASME B31G).
- Both scanning process and analysis are independent from the inspector’s skills.
- Single software platform for both pipeline corrosion and mechanical damage assessment.
- The scanning speed can be more than 10 times faster than pit gauge technique.
- Results generated in a few minutes.
- The scanner is self-positioned to the pipe. No need for encoders or bulky mechanical scanners to reference the data.
- Lightweight (1 kg) and can be carried on site very easily.
- Automatically-applied interaction rules.
- 3D and 2D color mapping with river-bottom path overlay.
- 2D section generation in both axis.
- Worst-case-profile generated for all corrosion features.
- Estimated burst pressure calculation based on ASME B31G code (B31G, B31G Modified and Effective Area methods).
- Corrosion depth measurement, dimensions and position on the pipe.
- “Depth-on-the-fly”: simply drag the mouse over point to obtain local corrosion depth measurement.
- Gouge and redressed gouge inspection.
- Point-to-point distance measurement directly in the 3D model.
- Enhanced virtual pit gauge capabilities
- Corrosion near welds supported
- Internal & external assessment
- Customizable depths (Excel Export)
- Pre-determined view