What the industry needs
Pipelines in service need to be inspected on-site to assess the level of denting or gouging that they have suffered, as well as their remaining service life.
While pipeline network’s integrity must be insured, costs also need to be kept as low as possible. Considering these factors, pipelines operators are looking for portability, measurement speed, data storage, and repeatability when choosing an inspection device.
Pipecheck software module for pipeline mechanical damage assessment
Creaform’s solution includes a Handyscan 3D laser scanner and the Pipecheck data acquisition/analysis software for mechanical damage assessment. Pipecheck is an innovative, intuitive and highly-effective alternative to traditional NDT methods most widely-used in this field.
Advantages of the solution
- A dynamic link between the pipe and scanner preserves accuracy and resolution in any field vibrating environment.
- Data quality can be assessed in real time during acquisition.
- Repeatability is ensured by scanner design, pre-programmed calculation and auto-generated reports.
- Follows code regulation (ASME B31G).
- Both scanning process and analysis are independent from the inspector’s skills.
- Single software platform for both pipeline external corrosion and mechanical damage assessment.
- The scanning speed can be more than 10 times faster than pit gauge technique.
- Results generated in a few minutes.
- The scanner is self-positioned to the pipe. No need for encoders or bulky mechanical scanners to reference the data.
- Lightweight (1 kg) and can be carried on site very easily.
- Radius measurement.
- Maximum depth measurement using straight edge technique in both directions.
- Automatic maximum depth detection.
- Automatic creation of 2D cross-sections in both directions at maximum depth.
- Intuitive cross-section creation tool.
- 3D and 2D color mapping of damaged area.
- Visualization tool to increase dent shape understanding.
- Depth-over-diameter ratio.
- Maximum diameter at 90 degrees of the dent.
- Length and width measurement for each dent.
- Multiple dent analysis.
- Internal & external assessment
- Customizable depths (Excel Export)
- Pre-determined view